Disney Character meet and greets are coming back in select parks! However, the manner in which they are being reintroduced is different than we are used to. Do you like this new system? Do you think we will see this at Disney World?
Disney World Characters
Characters are part of the magical experience of Disney World. From the parades and park meets to character dining and special experiences, they have become a quintessential part of the Disney World vacation.
That all came to a halt though when Disney shared its plans for reopening Disney World back in May. Upon reopening, the traditional meet and greets would no longer be an option.
Almost all of the character meals would also be temporarily paused during the initial reopening phase. Any special experiences like Jedi Training or Pirates & Pals have also been suspended.
However, we are not left without some opportunities to grab a peek of our favorite characters! Disney has done a great job combining characters and parades into what we know as Character Cavalcades.
But, the questions everyone seems to be asking are: when will things go back to normal? When will FastPass+ return? When can we watch the parade and fireworks again? And, when can we hug Mickey?!
Characters Return to Select Parks
Select Disney theme parks are reintroducing characters into the park experience using an Entry Request System. Tokyo Disneyland, Tokyo DisneySea, and Shanghai Disneyland are all offering this system.
Entry Request is basically a virtual queue that holds your spot in line to meet a character. Social distancing while waiting and during the character meet and greet are still implemented so Guests are still not able to get up and close and personal with their pals.
Here is the list of experiences that are/will be offered at each park under this new system:
- Meet Mickey at Mickey’s House
- Minnie’s Style Studio
- Woodchuck Greetings Trail
- Theater Orleans with Character Greetings (beginning October 5)
- Plaza Pavilion Bandstand with Character Greetings (beginning October 5)
See more updates about Tokyo Disneyland HERE!
- Mickey & Friends Greeting Trails
- Mermaid Lagoon Character Greeting
- Saludos Amigos! Greeting Dock
- Broadway Music Theater with Character Greetings (beginning October 5)
- Dockside Stage with Character Greetings (beginning October 5)
- Selfie Spot with Disney Jungle Characters at Happy Circle
- Selfie Spot with Princesses at Storybook Court
- Selfie Spot with Mickey at the Gardens of Imagination
- Selfie Spot with your Favorite Toys at The Meeting Post
- Selfie Spot with Winnie the Pooh in the Hundred Acre Wood
- Selfie Spot with Minnie Mouse and Friends at Mickey Avenue
- Selfie Spot with Baymax at E-Stage
- Selfie Spot with Jack Sparrow at the Sparrow’s Nest
Will We See Entry Request at Disney World or Disneyland?
The big question still remains: will character meet and greets look like this at parks here in the United States? Will they utilize the Entry Request System?
While we don’t know the answer to that and we don’t have any indication of when the character experiences will return, we are hopeful that Disney will find a solution that is safe in the near future! We miss our characters!
I do think reintroducing more experiences will help spread the crowds out. On my recent trip, I noticed the parks were much more busy than what I was expecting. Without FastPass+, touring plans are more important than ever to ensure you experience all you want to do.
Use Character Locator for current touring plans and all the latest up-to-date information!