What Is Child Swap or Rider Switch and How Does It Work?
If guests in your party don’t want to board an attraction, you don’t have to miss out. One adult can wait with the non-rider while the rest of the party experiences the attraction. The waiting adult can then board the attraction without having to wait in the regular line again when another adult in the party returns to supervise the child or children who do not ride—either because they do not meet the height requirement or simply do not wish to ride. It can also be used by those with a group that has a person who is incapable of riding due to disability, regardless of age.
Child swap or Baby swap as some have called it is technically called a Rider Switch Pass
How many guests are allowed to use Rider Switch / Child Swap?
The Rider Switch / Child Swap pass allows up to 3 people to board the attraction using a single return pass.
How to use Rider Switch / Child Swap:
- As you approach the stand by queue or Fastpass+ return, ask the Cast Member for a Child Swap or Rider Switch pass. One adult will be asked to remain with the non rider while the other adult and children are allowed to board the attraction. You can either ride a nearby attraction or sit out nearby.
- After riding the ride, the adult who rode will now “switch” with the other adult who was waiting with the non-rider.
- The previously non-riding adult takes the special paper pass to the Fastpass+ return, presents it to the Cast Member and 2 children are now allowed to ride with them. This allows two children to ride two different times, once with each adult.
Which attractions provide Rider Switch / Child Swap?
Rider Switch is available at select attractions at all Four Walt Disney World theme parks. Other attractions may offer these passes, check with the Cast Member at the attraction.
Magic Kingdom Park
- Big Thunder
- Mountain Railroad
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Splash Mountain
- Space Mountain
- Stitch’s Great Escape
- The Barnstormer
- Tomorrowland Indy Speedway
- Mission: SPACE
- Test Track
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Rock ’n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
- Star Tours® – The Adventures Continue
- Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park
- Expedition Everest – Legend of the Forbidden Mountain®
- Kali River Rapids
- Primeval Whirl
For how long is the Rider Switch / Child Swap pass valid?
The paper pass is valid for the entire day and is stamped with the date prominently on the ticket. (I’ve been informed by readers that some attractions are providing return passes that are valid for several weeks).
What does Rider Switch / Child Swap cost?
It’s a free service to help with adults who have guests in their party who do not wish to ride or are incapable of riding.
Can I use Rider Switch / Child Swap in conjunction with Fastpass+?
Yes, you may use these services together. Book a Fastpass+ for one adult that plans to ride first and any children that plan to ride.