I’m not sure who is excited about the “Grand Opening” of New Fantasyland at this point because some elements have been available for weeks or even months. Perhaps you haven’t had a chance to see the amazing new areas, I’m not negating that. However, I would AVOID the MAGIC KINGDOM at all costs on December 6 just because many people will attend just for the “Grand Opening”. Many people will want to be in the Park on the 6th for the “Grand Opening” and it’s an Extra Magic Hour day which automatically increases crowd sizes. Park operations will change dramatically for the two days of this event. If you can visit the Magic Kingdom December 7th or after, do so. Operations will return to normal and lines will as well. Disney is stating that New Fantasyland is closed on December 5th and that it will be open at 8:00am for Extra Magic Hours on the 6th.
Crowds may be lighter than normal on December 5th, but some things are closed and others close early.
Here’s some of what you can expect those days.
- Magic Kingdom operating hours are from 9:00-7:00
- The Enchanted Forest area closed to guests all day.
- Storybook Circus will only be open from 9:00-3:00
- Mickey’s PhilharMagic will be CLOSED.
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and the Carrousel will only be open from 9:00-6:00
- Wishes will be offered at 6:00pm. (Great view of this early show from the Polynesian beach!)
- Magic Kingdom operating hours are from 9:00-7:00 (8:00 am opening for Resort Guests with Extra Magic Hours priveledges, creating a bigger unnecessary mess).
- Grand Opening Ceremony to be held on the Castle Stage at 10:00am.
- Be Our Guest Restaurant will be CLOSED ALL DAY
- The Enchanted Forest and Storybook Circus are said to open for guests at 8am for morning Extra Magic Hours.
- Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party is 7:00pm to 12:00am (Could this party become a sell out?)
I’ll start by listing the characters that you no longer will be able to meet at MVMCP this year: Beast, Stitch and Shaker will no longer meet guests at 2012 parties. The only positive re-addition will be Scrooge McDuck. He was removed last year, but returns this year. In my opinion the party has become less interesting each year. We used to be able to meet classic characters like the Brers and Donald was in a great costume. Lately, the trend is to extend the same characters that one could meet during the day. I much prefer MNSSHP for character variety and pounds of candy, but I’m no Scrooge, I love Christmas. I just don’t love the character line up for 2012.
Abu – Agrabah Bazaar
Aladdin as Prince Ali – Agrabah Bazaar
Ariel- Ariel’s Grotto
Aurora & Prince Phillip – Town Square Theater
Belle – Enchanted Tales with Belle (not traditional meet and greet.)
Big Al – Near Country Bears
Capt. Jack Sparrow – Near Pirates of the Caribbean
Cinderella & Prince Charming,
Tremaine Family – Fantasyland Wall
Donald – Pete’s Silly Sideshow
Duffy – Liberty Square Riverboat
Eeyore, Piglet, Tigger & Winnie the Pooh – Next to Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Genie – Agrabah Bazaar
Goofy – Pete’s Silly Sideshow
Daisy – Pete’s Silly Sideshow
Jasmine – Agrabah Bazaar
Liverlips – Near Country Bears
Merida – Fairytale Gardens
Mickey & Minnie – Town Square Theater
Minnie – Pete’s Silly Sideshow
Peter Pan & Wendy – Prince Charming Carousel
Phineas & Ferb – Tomorrowland
Rapunzel &Flynn – Town Square Theater
Santa Clause – Main St Flag Pole
Scrooge McDuck – Castle Courtyard
Seven Dwarfs – Splash Mountain Exit – no autographs!
Snow White & Prince – Town Square Theater
Tiana & Naveen – Liberty Square Glade
Tinker Bell & Periwinkle – Tinker Bell’s Nook
Dance Parties – no meets, no autographs
Cosmic Ray’s Dance Party
Chip & Dale
Diamond Horseshoe Dance Party Bullseye